WALLINGFORD is located in the south-eastern part of the county, in
lat. 43° 27', and long. 4° 8' east from Washington, and bounded north
by Clarendon and Shrewsbury, east by Mt. Holly, south by Mt. Tabor
and Danby, and west by Tinmouth, containing an area of about 23,000 acres,
well watered by numerous streams, furnishing good mill-sites, and made pic-
turesque by several ponds or lakes distributed over its surface. The principal
stream is Otter Creek, which runs through the western part of the township,
from south to north. Mill River flows through the north-eastern part, and
Roaring Brook through nearly the whole width of the town from east to west,
emptying into Otter Creek just west of the village of Wallingford. The
largest pond, or lake, lies in the south-eastern part of the town, on the moun-
tains, covering an area of about 350 acres, and called Lake Hiram, or Wal-
lingford Pond. About a mile and a half to the south-west of this is another,
covering about fifty acres, called Little Pond. Nearly opposite the village of
Wallingford, and west of the creek, is another beautiful little sheet of water,
covering about 100 acres, called Fox Pond. The whole town is peculiarly
rich and varied in scenery; in the eastern section the Green Mountains rise
in their grandeur, the highest ridge of which is here called "The White
Rocks." Another elevation, near the centre of the town, and which is sepa-
rate from the mountains, is called "Green Hill," and covers a large area,
composed of quartz rock, cropping out frequently in ledges. At the foot of
White Rock an ice-bed forms among the broken rocks, which remains during
the entire summer.
Wallingford was chartered by New Hampshire, November 27, 1761; the
proprietors also obtaining a charter from New York. The first proprietors'
meeting was held at Wallingford, Connecticut, September 12, 1772, with
Captain Eliakim Hall, moderator. The town was organized March 10, 1778,
with Abraham Ives, moderator; Abraham Jackson Jr., clerk; Joseph Jack-
son, Abraham Ives and Jonah Ives, committee. The boundaries of the
township have since been changed. October 31, 1792, 3,388 acres were taken
from it to form, with Jackson's Gore and a portion of Ludlow, the township
of Mt. Holly. Again, October 19, 1793, the Legislature passed an Act an-
nexing to Wallingford a portion of the town of Tinmouth. This Act annexed
that portion of the town called "West Hill," and was a full equivalent to .
Wallingford for all that had been taken from its eastern side.
The soil on the lower lands is very rich and productive, especially along
Otter Creek, where are situated some as beautiful farms as are to be found
in the State. The higher lands were originally densely covered with heavy
timber, while the lower lands were covered with deep swamps and thick
jungles. Otter Creek was a black, sluggish stream, often dammed with drift-
wood, when it flooded the swamp for acres-- the paradise of mosquitoes.
In the very midst of what was then the swamp mentioned, now lies, sur-
rounded by broad pastures and beautiful farms, the pleasant little village of
In 1880 the town had a population of 1,865, was divided into thirteen
school districts and had sixteen common schools, employing two male and
twenty female teachers, at an aggregate salary of $2,420.70. During the year
ending October 31st, there were 419 pupils attending common school, and
the entire cost of the schools was $2,706.36. Mr. S. H. Archibald was
WALLINGFORD, a post village and station on the Rutland and Bennington
Railroad, which passes through the town from north to south, lies in the
north-western part of the town, on Otter Creek, principally on one street
running north and south, with the Catholic church at the northern extremity
and the Congregational at the southern-- modest though comely structures.
It is about ten miles distant from Rutland, and contains nine stores, one
photograph gallery, three blacksmith shops, three churches, one town hall,
one school-house, one fork factory, harness and shoe shop, grist-mill, cheese
factory, etc., and has about 625 inhabitants.
The fork manufactory of Batcheller & Sons, the most important manu-
factory of the town, situated in this village, on Otter Creek, employs about
sixty men. Their goods have a wide reputation, being shipped to nearly all
the countries in the world where American implements have been intro-
Wallingford Graded School, situated on School street, is a very flourish-
iag institution, established September 1, 1871. The building is very pleas-
antly located and capable of accommodating about 150 scholars, employs
tbree teachers, with Prof. William H. Shaw as principal.
SOUTH WALLINGFORD, a post village, situated five miles south of Walling-
ford village, on Otter Creek, and about five miles north of Danby, is a station
on the B. & R. R'y, containing about twenty dwellings, one church (Union),
one grist and saw-mill, one cheese factory, one wood-pulp mill, one store and
an express office, railroad depot and post-office combined. There is also
found here a quarry of very marketable marble, and the South Wallingford
Stone Mill employs eight gangs of saws in cutting it.
The Pioneer Pulp Mill, located at this village, was established in May,
1880, by Julius T. Remington and Edward P. Ely. The partnership was
dissolved on June 11th of the same year, and the works are now owned by
Edward P. Ely. Pulp is used in the manufacture of paper, and consists of
wood, wet and ground into a pulpy substance. Mr. Ely manufactures about
3,000 pounds of dry pulp per day, and employs nine men. The mill is run
by water-power, and has the convenience of a side-track from the railroad at
EAST WALLINGFORD, a post village, situated in the eastern part of the
town, on the Central Vermont Railroad, is about five miles distant from the
other two villages. It has a very neat Baptist meeting-house, several stores
and machine-shops, and is increasing in its business interests.
CENTREVILLE, a hamlet, situated a mile and a quarter south-west of East
Wallingford, contains ten dwellings, one saw-mill, one chair-stock mill, one
cheese-box and butter tub factory, one blacksmith-shop and one school house.
Gleason & Chilson's cheese factory, at East Wallingford, uses the milk of
300 cows, and manufactures 60,000 pounds of cheese per year.
Anderson's cheese factory, established in 1879, uses the milk from 275
cows, manufacturing about 48,000 pounds of cheese per annum.
Pearl Cheese Factory, located one-fourth of a mile south of South Walling-
ford, was erected in the fall of 1873, at a cost of $3,000. It is owned by
Abraham R. Ames, who manufactures 100,000 pounds of cheese per year,
from the milk of 400 cows.
The Town Farm is located one and one-fourth miles south-west of East
Wallingford, and contains 140 acres, under the supervision of Hiland
Johnson. The farm usually has on an average twelve of the town-poor on
Wallingford receives its name from Wallingford, Conn., where resided the
original proprietors. Abraham Jackson is usually conceded to have been the
first settler possessing a legal title to his lands. He settled here with his
family in the summer of 1773, and though he, with others that settled with
him, were the first regular settlers, they were not, as has been erroneously
stated, the first inhabitants. Remember Baker, with a corps of assistants,
surveyed the township in the year 1770. On the 2d day of June of that
year he was at work in company with one, Wood, from Pawlet, (as per
records). They commenced at the north-east corner of Danby, and after
running two miles and sixty chains north, they heard chopping in the forest,
to their right. They left their work, and following the sound, found, about
forty rods to the east, on Otter Creek, a dwelling and small clearing. This
was owned by Ephraim Seeley, undoubtedly the first inhabitant of Walling-
ford, he having settled there, supposing he was in the town of Tinmouth.
The site of his house was about thirty rods east of the George Earle place,
the R. R. now running right through its old foundation. Four years after
this, Mr. Seeley sold his improvements for £50, and bought in Danby for
£7, where he resided until his death, leaving numerous descendants.
John Hopkins was one of the earliest settlers of the town, coming from
Salem, N. Y., in the spring of 1770. He settled on West Hill, which then
belonged in the town of Tinmouth, where he chopped and cleared two acres
of land, and sowed it with wheat. He had no house, and slept in a hollow
log with the ends closed to keep the wolves out. His bread was baked in
Danby, and his rifle supplied his table with meat. The autumn of that year
he went to Danby Corners, when he married Charity Bromly. Returning
early the following summer he built a log house, and his wife soon after
joined him. The wheat he had sown the fall before, he found, on his return,
had grown so tall that he could stand in the midst of it and tie the stalks
over his head. Mr. Hopkins resided here until his death, at an advanced
age, and many of his descendants still reside on West Hill. The site of the
old house was just back of the orchard, on the farm where George Hopkins
In 1784 Lent Ives built the house recently occupied by Dr. John E. Hitt,
of Wallingford village. Ives was a returned Revolutionary soldier. Previous
to his building this house, he had lived in a log house, situated where Rebecca
Hull now resides. In buying land on which to build, the bounds were as
follows :-- Commencing at a stake and stone on the south end of the lot
where the Congregational chapel now stands, running south on the highway,
to the north bank of Roaring Brook, thence up said bank to where Frank
H. Hoadley's blacksmith shop stands, thence parallel with the west line as
far north as the place of beginning, thence west to the place of beginning.
This lot included the best part of what is now Wallingford village. The
house was built near the site of the residence of the late Isaac Munson.
The barn was built where the residence of Lewis Cobb now stands. The
space between the house and barn, and north of it, was used for many years
as a public park and parade ground. The house was removed to the site
where it now stands, in the year 1855-'56. It is built in the old gambrel-
roof style, the posts larger at the top than the bottom, the walls ceiled and
pannelled, the chimneys being built outside of the house at either end, and
composed of brick, stone, and home-made mortar of clay. The floor was
made of very wide, hard wood planks on the lower story, and pine of a
superior quality above, the same floor being now in use. This house was
soon after opened by Ives as a hotel, and was used as such a long time,
Ethan Allen having stopped there several times, the last time being the
winter previous to his death. This description will serve as a fair picture of
most any old-time mansion, showing how primitive was our forefather's style
Abraham Ives, an early settler in Wallingford, was the first high sheriff of
Rutland County, holding the office from 1781 to '85. In selling the tract of
land now known as Mendon, he opened the sale at midnight of the day
advertised, in the interest of certain Rutland men, the said land being pur-
chased by Jonathan Parker,-- hence, Parkerstown. Ives, fearing prosecution
for his irregularity, resigned his office, sold his property to Samuel Hull and
left the State.
The first grave in Wallingford Cemetery was made necessary in the follow-
ing manner :-- About the year 1777, a Tory from Manchester attempted to
go to Castleton and put himself under Royal protection. He had proceeded
as far as Green Hill, Wallingford, when the citizens learning that he was on
the hill, went out after him. He pointed his gun at them, when they im-
mediately shot him down, fatally wounded. He was carried to the residence
of Mr. Benj. Bradley, where he was kindly cared for until he expired. He
was buried on Mr. Bradley's farm, filling the first grave in Wallingford
Cemetery, where hundreds now peacefully sleep within its hallowed precints.
In the year 1779 there came into the town, settling at Wallingford village,
two good men, who were afterwards quite prominent. One was Joseph Ran-
dall, the other, Nathaniel Ives. Mr. Randall was the first deacon of the
Baptist Church of that village, and a man of earnestly correct principles.
He at different times held many important positions both in the Church and
in the town. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1793,
and served both in the war of the Revolution and in the war of 1812. Mr.
Ives was the first deacon of the Congregational Church, and though not so
distinguished as Mr. Randall, yet was held in great esteem by his fellow citi-
zens. The house where he first resided was near the spot now occupied by
the residence of Mrs. Randall. It was a log cabin, as all the houses of the
settlement at this time were, had a chimney but no hearth and no door, the
entrance to the house being covered with a blanket.
There was no bridge across Roaring Brook, which was a much larger stream
than now, the only way to cross being upon logs, the upper sides of which
were hewn off flat to make the walking less precarious. Mill Brook was then
abundantly supplied with fish, while on Otter Creek there were plenty of
mink, muskrats and beaver. The settlers at this time made their own sugar
&c., and most of their clothing. Mrs. Abraham Ives and Mrs. Abraham
Jackson each had a calico dress, costing them $15.00 a piece, which were
very much admired. The first grist mill was located at South Wallingford,
built by Abraham Jackson.
Joseph E. White, now a resident of Wallingford, has in his possession a
gun with a very long barrel and long stock, being one of the Queen Anne
arms, manufactured in England in 1740. Philip White carried it at the seige
of Louisburg in 1774, and Nehemiah White carried it during the Revolu-
tionary war; since which time it has been handed down from one genera-
tion to another, until it is now in the possession of Joseph White, as stated.
Philip White and Nehemiah his son, and a daughter, Lois White, came to
Wallingford about the year 1790, settling upon the Eli M. Ward place. They
built a log house, which was succeeded in 1804 by the old house now used
by Mr. Ward in which to make butter and cheese. The log house had only
a blanket for a door. One morning there was a piece of venison lying just inside
the door, and a large bear happening to stroll that way, scented it, and coolly
stepped in and helped himself. Bruin had not counted the cost however, for
before he could make his escape, Philip, taking down the old gun referred to,
shot him dead.
Hon. Harvey Button, an old and respected resident of Wallingford, was
born in Clarendon, January, 17, 1800. He moved to the town of Walling-
ford June 1, 1826. Mr. Button is by profession a lawyer, and is now hale
and hearty in body, possessing a vigorous mind.
Stanley Stafford came to Wallingford from Danby, about the year 1795,
and bought the John Reed grist and saw mill at South Wallingford. Mr.
Stafford at that time was one of the largest real estate owners in the town.
Asa Anderson settled on the farm now owned by his son Nathaniel, in 1790,
when he was about 25 years of age. Mr. Anderson served four years in the
Revolutionary war. Asa's house stood in the north-west corner of the lot
where Nathaniel's now stands, some plum trees and a large apple tree marking
Luther Holden, born in Mt. Holly, settled in East Wallingford at an early
date, where he resided many years and then removed to South Wallingford,
where he has since resided, being now 97 years of age. He is at present
residing with his son, Jesse, and also has two sons residing in Hubbardton--
Antipas E. Holden and Zimri H. Howard. Luther has a brother, Stephen
Holden, of Mt. Holly, who is 96 years of age.
John Ballou, from Richmond, N. H., came to Rutland County in 1800,
locating in Shrewsbury, removing to Wallingford again after a few years
residence in that town. In 1823 he purchased the farm in the north part of
the town now owned by his daughter Olivia, who was born in 1813.
Goodyear Clark, from Connecticut, came to this town previous to the
Revolution, locating on a farm about half-a-mile north of the present village
of Wallingford. He died about the year 1850. P. G. Clark, son of Chancey
and grandson of Goodyear, was born in 1805,and is now a resident of Wal-
G. H. Edgerton came to Wallingford in 1845, and engaged in the boot
and shoe business, and was long known among the business men of the
township, though he is now retired from business. His son, Charles M.
Edgerton, was a lieutenant during the late war, and died in the hospital at
Philadelphia, March 28, 1864.
Zephaniah Hull came to Clarendon from Cheshire, Conn., at an early date,
locating upon the place now owned by his grand-daughter, Rebecca F. Hull,
at Wallingford village. Rebecca's father, Alfred Hull, was born Sept. 10,
1794, and resided upon the old homestead all his life, dying March 28,
Hosea Eddy located in Wallingford in 1805, residing here until his death,
in August, 1877. His son, E. O. Eddy, is still a resident of the town, at the
age of 65 years.
William Kent, from Leicester, Mass., came to Wallingford in 1802, locating
in the east part of the town, and was followed the next year by his brother,
Elias. William died in 1846, Elias in 1856, Ieaving three sons and one
daughter; the sons, Austin, Elias W. and Alonzo, are still residents of the
Amasa, Ebenezer and Joel Hart, settled in the central part of the town
previous to the Revolution. Levi, son of Amasa, is still a resident, at the
age of 72 years.
Howard Harris came to Wallingford in 1824, from Brattleboro, Vt.,
engaging in mercantile pursuits at Wallingford, in which he continued until
December 25th, 1851, when his store and property, valued at $5,000, was
destroyed by fire and was a total loss. Mr. Harris represented the town in
1836, and has served as town clerk many years. A daughter of Mr. Harris
is the wife of Dr. George H. Fox, of Rutland.
Elias Crary, from New Haven, Conn., came to Wallingford at an early
date, locating in the north part of the town, upon the farm now owned by
Edwin Crary. Frank L., a grandson of Elias, is also a present resident of
Edwin Martindale came to this town in 1832, where he was engaged in
mercantile pursuits for a period of over thirty years. He was town repre-
sentative in 1855 and 1856, was town clerk twelve years, and town treasurer
twenty years, and still resides in the village.
James H. Congdon came to Wallingford from North Kingston, R. I., in
1804. He had several children, of which James and C. H. are still residents
of the town.
During the Rebellion the town of Wallingford sent 161 men to the war,
being three men over and above all demands made upon her. Every soldier
who was credited for the town, received a bounty varying from $25.00 to
$900.00 each; $2,213.46 of the funds to pay bounties was raised by volun-
tary contribution, the remainder, $9,136.54 being raised on the "grand list"
of the town, making in all $11,350.00, the whole expense of the town.
The First Baptist Church of Wallingford was organized at Wallingford
village, February 10th, I780, by Elisha Rich, with a membership of twenty-
one, and Rev. Henry Green as pastor. The first house of worship was a
union church, erected in 1800, succeeded by the independent one in 1827.
The original cost of the present edifice was $870. Rev. S. Henry Archibald
is at present pastor. The house of worship was enlarged and repaired in
1846 and again in 1869, and will now comfortably seat 200, and the property
is valued at $6,000. There have been twenty-one pastorates and nineteen
different pastors. The first pastorate was twenty years in length. Ten per-
sons have served as deacons, nine as church clerks. The church took early
ground against slavery and intemperance. Deacon Randall, the first cleek,
served fifty-five years, and as deacon fifty-six years. The centennial anni-
versary of the Church was observed on February 10th, 1880.
The Congregational Church of Wallingford was organized in 1792, with
the Rev. Benjamin Osborn as pastor. The first house of worship was
erected in 1800, succeeded by the present one in 1828. The original cost of
the present church edifice was $2,500, and is now valued at $7,000. It will
comfortably seat about 300 people. Charles N. Brainard is at present pastor.
The East Wallingford Baptist Church was organized March 3d, 1861, by
Rev. Joseph Freeman, with a membership of twenty-nine. The church edifice
was erected in 1860, at a cost of about $2,000, will comfortably seat 200
people, and is at present valued at $2,500. Rev. T. P. Kellog is the present
St. Patrick's Church, (Roman Catholic,) located at Wallingford, was
organized in 1865 by Rev. C. Boylan. At its organization it consisted of 300
members, which has since increased to 600. The church edifice was erected
in 1866, at a cost of $8,000, and will comfortably accommodate 350 people.
Rev. T. J. Gaffney is the present pastor.
(Source: Gazetteer and Business Directory of Rutland County, Vt. for 1881-82;
compiled and published by Hamilton Child, Syracuse, N.Y., Aug., 1881, pp. 252-256a.)