A county in the E. N. E. part of Vermont, has an area of about 650 square miles. It is bounded on the S. E. by the Connecticut, and drained by the Passumsick, Lamoille, and Wells rivers, which turn numerous grist and saw mills. The surface is rough, and in the W. part mountainous.
The soil is good, especially along the valleys of its numerous streams. Potatoes, oats, maple sugar, and grass are the staples. In 1850 this county produced 565,841 bushels of potatoes; 218,735 of oats; 59,449 tons of hay; 1,206,272 pounds of butter, and 854,820 of maple sugar. The quantity of maple sugar was the greatest produced by any county in the United States, except St. Lawrence, New York.
There were 15 woollen factories, 18 starch works, 1 foundry, 19 flour mills, 44 saw mills, 1 scale manufactory, 19 tanneries, and 85 boot and shoe manufactories. It contained 41 churches, and 2 newspaper establishments. There were 7841 pupils attending public schools, and 638 attending academies or other schools. It contains several sulphur springs, and abounds in granite and limestone. The railroad connecting Bellows Falls and St. Johnsbury partly intersects this county. Organized in 1792. Capital, Danville. Population, 28,595.
(1854 U.S. Gazetter)